In this blog post, we will provide you with all of the information you need to know before setting off on your trip to the Long Point Trailhead in the US.
Let’s get started!
Overview of the Trail
The Long Point Trailhead is a well known hiking path located in the New River Gorge National Park and Preserve, West Virginia, USA.
This trail is particularly loved by hikers for its breathtaking views of the gorge and the ICONIC New River Gorge Bridge.
The hike is around 3.2 miles (5 km) long in total, making it a fairly short but rewarding experience. Most consider it a moderate-level trail due to some areas with steep inclines and rocky terrain.
The trail navigates through beautiful woodland before revealing the grand viewpoint.
Parking for the Long Point Trailhead in West Virginia is at the trailhead itself. The parking lot is very spacious and can accommodate a good number of vehicles.
However, it’s always a good idea to arrive early, especially on weekends or during peak hiking seasons, as it can get busy.
Once you park your vehicle, the trailhead should be clearly marked from the parking area. Make sure to secure any valuables and lock your vehicle before starting your hike.
Better safe than sorry!
The Long Point Trailhead is FAMOUS for its scenery.
But wait – there’s more.
Imagine this, you are hiking the trail, starting off in the forests, you can hear the birds singing and leaves moving around by the wind. Then, you enter this open field with the bright sun shining, a complete contrast to what you were experiencing before.
Doesn’t that sound amazing?
The trail is particularly beautiful during the autumn, when the leaves change color and create different shades of reds, oranges, and yellows.
But wait, there is more!
You CANNOT miss the view from the famous Long Point rock outcrop. This is the best spot for panoramic views of the gorge and the iconic New River Gorge Bridge.
When planning a hike on the Long Point Trailhead, it’s essential to be prepared and aware of the necessary safety precautions and permits required.
- Always check the weather forecast before heading out. Sudden changes in weather can make hiking treacherous.
- Bring along a map of the trail and familiarize yourself with the route beforehand.
- Wear appropriate footwear and clothing suitable for the trail’s terrain and the weather conditions.
- Carry enough water and snacks to keep you hydrated and energized during the hike.
- If you’re planning to hike in a group, ensure everyone stays together to prevent anyone from getting lost.
- Be respectful of the wildlife. Keep a safe distance and do not feed or approach them.
The information available suggests that there are no specific permits or fees required to hike the Long Point Trailhead.
However, rules can change, and it’s always best to check with the local park authorities or the official website for the most current information.
Remember, being prepared and following safety guidelines not only ensures your well-being but also helps protect the trail and its natural beauty for future visitors.
Where to Stay
Whether you’re seeking luxury accommodation, a mid-budget option, or a budget-friendly stay, there are several options available near the Long Point Trailhead.
If you’re seeking top-tier accommodation, consider staying at The Red Inn. This historic and luxurious inn offers beautiful water views and is recognized for its extremely popular restaurant.
For those looking for a balance between comfort and cost, consider the Hampton Inn Beckley or Best Western Plus Beckley Inn. Both offer comfortable rooms and are conveniently located near the trailhead.
For budget-conscious travelers, Quality Inn New River Gorge or Sleep Inn Beaver-Beckley offer affordable rates and basic amenities. These accommodations provide a comfortable place to rest after a day of hiking.
Take Instagram-worthy Pictures
Taking Instagram-worthy pictures at the Long Point Trailhead is all about capturing the natural beauty of the area and the unique moments you experience along the trail.
Here are some tips:
- Capture the Panoramic Views: The viewpoint at the end of the trail provides a stunning panorama of the New River Gorge Bridge. This is a perfect spot for a wide-angle shot or a panorama.
- Use Natural Light: The best times to take photos are early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the light is softer. Use the natural sunlight to your advantage to create dramatic and atmospheric shots.
- Wildlife and Flora: Keep an eye out for local wildlife and unique plant species along the trail. These can make for interesting and engaging photo subjects.
- Play with Perspectives: Try taking photos from different angles and perspectives. Get low to the ground for a unique viewpoint, or use trees and rocks to frame your shots.
- Capture the Journey: Don’t just focus on the destination – the journey is just as important. Capture images along the trail, showcasing the changing landscapes and your hiking experience.
- Use a Good Camera: While phone cameras have improved dramatically, using a high-quality camera can make a significant difference in the quality of your photos.
Tips and Tricks
Visiting the Long Point Trailhead can be a thrilling experience. Here are some tips and tricks to enhance your visit:
- Best Time to Visit: The trail is accessible year-round, but spring and fall are considered the best times to visit due to the pleasant weather and beautiful foliage.
- Start Early: The trail can get crowded, particularly on weekends. Start your hike early in the day to beat the crowds and have a more peaceful experience.
- Pack Essentials: Bring plenty of water, snacks, and sun protection. Don’t forget your camera to capture the stunning views!
- Wear Appropriate Gear: Wear sturdy, comfortable hiking shoes and dress in layers so you can adjust to changing temperatures.
- Stay on the Trail: To protect the environment and for your own safety, always stay on the marked trail.
- Check Weather Forecasts: Weather can change quickly, so always check the forecast before heading out.
- Wildlife Awareness: Keep a safe distance from wildlife and never feed the animals.
- Leave No Trace: Take all trash with you and leave the trail as you found it, or even cleaner!
- Take Your Time: The beauty of Long Point Trailhead is meant to be savored. Don’t rush the hike – take your time to enjoy the scenery, observe the wildlife, and take photos.
- Stay Safe: If you’re hiking alone, let someone know your plans. It’s always safer to hike with others, especially on longer trails.
Remember, preparation is key to having a great hiking experience at the Long Point Trailhead. Enjoy your adventure!
The United States is a place of unparalleled beauty with spectacular scenic landscapes and awe-inspiring panoramic views such as the ones from the the Everglades and Francis S Taylor Wildlife Managament Area and Lake Haiyaha.
The Long Point Trailhead offers hikers some of the most exquisite panoramic views of the coastline and is a perfect destination for people who enjoy nature walks and photography.
The trail is a must-do activity for those visiting Hawaii. As enjoyable as it can be, visitors must follow the necessary safety precautions and permits beforehand to ensure a hassle-free visit.
With proper planning and preparation, visitors can make the most out of their trip to Hawaii’s Long Point Trailhead.
Can you hike at Long Point?
Yes, you can hike at Long Point. The Long Point Trail in West Virginia offers a moderate-level hiking experience with stunning views of the New River Gorge and its iconic bridge.
How long is New River Gorge Long Point Trail?
The New River Gorge Long Point Trail is approximately 3.2 miles round trip. It offers a mix of wooded areas and open vistas, making it a popular choice for hikers.
What trail goes from Mexico to Canada?
The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) spans 2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon, and Washington. It’s one of the most famous long-distance hiking trails in the United States.
What is Fayetteville WV known for?
Fayetteville, West Virginia, is known for its outdoor adventure opportunities, particularly white-water rafting and rock climbing. It’s also home to the New River Gorge Bridge, one of the most photographed places in West Virginia.
What famous person is from Fayetteville?
Fayetteville has been home to several notable individuals. One such person is Louis Jordan, a pioneering musician and songwriter who was a major figure in shaping the development of rhythm and blues music.
What famous people are from Fayetteville?
In addition to Louis Jordan, other famous individuals from Fayetteville include professional basketball player Ron “Fritz” Williams and award-winning country music singer Kathy Mattea.