Welcome to Green Bowl Beach, Bali.
In this blog post, we’ll cover EVERYTHING you need to know when you want to visit this amazing beach. We’ll go over accommodation, what to expect, how to get there, the amenities of the beach…
EVEN BETTER: We’ll provide you with insider tips and tricks AND with Instagrammable locations on the beach!
Would you like to know what to expect from Green Bowl Beach? Check out the video below!
Do you want more information about all the beaches in Uluwatu? We wrote a comprehensive blog post on the top 25 Uluwatu Beaches in Bali. These comprise Suluban Beach, Balangan Beach, Thomas Beach, and many others!
Location of Green Bowl Beach
Green Bowl Beach, situated in the Uluwatu region of Bali, is nestled on the southern coast of the Bukit Peninsula, offering visitors a secluded and picturesque retreat away from the bustling tourist hotspots.
DID YOU KNOW: The unique name “Green Bowl” originates from the natural phenomenon that occurs when the tide is low. The shallow coral reefs form a bowl-like shape in the water, imbued with a mesmerizing green tint.
The beach is accessible via a winding road that leads to a steep flight of stairs descending to the hidden paradise below. It looks scary, but it’s worth the view at the end. Believe us!
There are NO ENTRANCE FEES to access Green Bowl Beach, but you should be prepared to pay a small parking fee (see below) if you arrive on a scooter or in a car.
The parking area is located near the top of the stairs, making it convenient for you if you choose to drive or ride to this serene haven.
Activities and Attractions
There are so many things to do at Green Bowl Beach, it’s incredible! From surfing to spending time in beach bars, from doing yoga on the beach to taking Instagrammable pictures, and much more!
“The beach offers a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of Bali’s more popular beaches. The moment you step onto its soft, golden sands and gaze out at the sparkling turquoise waters, you’ll feel like you’ve discovered your paradise.”
The crystal-clear waters of Green Bowl Beach provide an ideal setting for snorkeling and underwater exploration. You’ll discover colorful fish, coral reefs, and other fascinating sea creatures.
For surf enthusiasts, Green Bowl Beach offers exciting opportunities to ride the waves.
The BEST conditions for surfers can be found during mid-tide when the swell is just right. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner eager to learn, this beach provides an exhilarating surfing experience.
It’s important to note that access to certain areas of Green Bowl Beach may be TIDE-DEPENDENT.
To make the most of your visit, be sure to check the local tide charts before venturing out. This way, you can safely explore all the nooks and crannies of this captivating paradise.
Keep your eyes peeled for the abundant wildlife that calls Green Bowl Beach home.
From the diverse MARINE LIFE beneath the waves to the various bird species soaring overhead, nature lovers will be in their element.
3) Instagram location
Don’t forget your camera to capture these memorable encounters!
4) Beach picnic
Finally, Green Bowl Beach is the perfect spot for a leisurely beach picnic or simply relaxing in a peaceful environment.
Lay down a blanket, unwind with a good book, or enjoy a delicious meal amidst the soothing sound of the waves and the gentle ocean breeze.
With its myriad of activities and attractions, Green Bowl Beach caters to every traveler’s desires, whether you seek adventure, tranquility, or a bit of both.
5) Local Vendors
Local vendors set up small shops near the beach, offering various items such as clothing, accessories, souvenirs, and snacks. You can explore these shops and support local businesses while finding unique keepsakes to take back home.
6) Yoga and Wellness Retreats
Green Bowl Beach is also a HUB for yoga and wellness retreats.
Many resorts and centers in the area offer yoga classes, meditation sessions, and spa treatments, allowing visitors to relax, rejuvenate, and find inner peace amidst the natural beauty of the beach.
Look below for a couple of Yoga retreat recommendations:
There are various ways to get to Green Bowl Beach depending on your location. We’ll walk you through it in 4 steps.
1. Arrival at Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS)
Your gateway to Bali is the Ngurah Rai International Airport, also known as Denpasar International Airport, which welcomes flights from various parts of the world. Use the widget below to see whatever flight would be cheapest from your place!
We always use Aviasales as they are the BEST organization in CHEAP FLIGHT prices.
2. Arrange transportation to Green Bowl Beach
From the airport, Green Bowl Beach is approximately 15 kilometers (around 9 miles) away and can be reached in about 25-35 minutes. There are several transportation options available to get you to your destination:
- Private Taxi or Car Service: For a comfortable and stress-free ride, consider booking a private taxi or car service. You can either pre-book one online or find one at the airport’s taxi counter. Remember to agree on the fare before starting your journey to avoid any confusion.
- Ride-Sharing Apps: Platforms like Grab and Gojek are popular in Bali (and by extension in Asia) and can be a more affordable alternative to traditional taxis. Simply download the app and request a ride to Green Bowl Beach. You’ll be amazed by how cheap they can be!
- Rent a Scooter or Car: If you’re feeling adventurous and want to explore Bali at your own pace, consider renting a scooter or car. There are many rental services available, both at the airport and across the island. Make sure to have a valid international driver’s license and always exercise caution while driving.
3. Travel to Green Bowl Beach
As you’re making your way to Green Bowl Beach, don’t forget to enjoy the sightseeing. you’re in Bali after all. You’ll see amazing nature landscapes, you’ll pass small villages with amazing vibes. The route towards Green Bowl Beach already gives you a small insight into the island life.
4. Arrival at Green Bowl Beach
Green Bowl Beach has a lot of parking spaces available so that’s GREAT! However, it’s important to note that there’s a small parking fee of around 2,000 – 5,000 IDR (about 0.14 – 0.35 USD) for scooters and 5,000 – 15,000 IDR (about 0.35 – 1.05 USD) for cars (these prices can vary depending on your negotiating skills).
Best Time to Visit Green Bowl Beach
We always have difficulty finding the right time to visit a beach. That’s why we’ve collected information on the DRY and WET seasons so you can pick the time you like best! For us, it’s definitely the DRY season.
Dry Season: April to September
Bali’s dry season runs from April to September, and it’s the best time to visit Green Bowl Beach.
During these months, you can expect SUNNY skies, WARM temperatures, and lower humidity levels, making it ideal for sunbathing, swimming, and exploring the island’s many attractions. The dry season also brings consistent swells, which means it’s perfect for surfers looking to catch some EPIC WAVES.
INSIDER TIP: Our favorite time to visit Green Bowl Beach is during the early part of the dry season, around May/June. The weather is just right, and the crowds haven’t reached their peak yet, allowing us to truly enjoy the beach and nature.
Wet Season: October to March
While the wet season in Bali spans from October to March, don’t let that deter you from visiting Green Bowl Beach!
Although you might encounter occasional RAIN showers, they’re typically short-lived and followed by bright, sunny skies. The LUSH greenery and dramatic landscapes are even more vibrant during this time, creating a captivating backdrop for your tropical escape.
However, if you’re not a professional surfer, be aware that the waves might NOT be as consistent during the wet season. But fear not, there are still plenty of activities to keep you entertained, such as yoga classes, cultural excursions, and indulging in amazing local cuisine.
Natural Beauty and Features
The sparkling turquoise waters of Green Bowl Beach invite you to dive in and explore the vibrant underwater world or simply relax on the shore, soaking up the sun.
Unlike many other crowded beaches in Bali, this hidden gem remains largely UNDISCOVERED, offering visitors a relaxed escape where they can truly immerse themselves in the authentic charm of Balinese paradise.
Adding to its magical allure, Green Bowl Beach boasts remarkable GREEN CAVES situated along its coastline. These naturally-formed limestone caves provide a shady retreat for relaxation or meditation.
As you unwind within these cool caverns, you’ll feel a deep connection to the surrounding environment, enhancing your experience at Green Bowl Beach.
Where to stay in Uluwatu
We love using Booking.com for hotels. Their website is easy to use, you immediately know when you have to pay (we always pay at the accommodation itself, never in advance), and sometimes you’ll even get breakfast FOR FREE!
For a high-end experience, choose Six Senses Uluwatu. It is a LUXURIOUS resort known for its commitment to sustainability and wellness, the resort provides guests with an exceptional experience that combines comfort, elegance, and a connection to nature.
Accommodations at Six Senses Uluwatu include a range of suites and villas, each designed with Balinese elements and featuring private plunge pools, outdoor decks, and stunning ocean views.
The resort’s amenities are designed to cater to the needs of every guest, with facilities such as:
- Multiple dining options: Six Senses Uluwatu offers a variety of culinary experiences, including fine dining at their signature restaurant, a relaxed poolside eatery, and an interactive chef’s table experience.
- Spa and wellness center: The resort’s spa focuses on holistic wellness, offering a range of treatments and therapies inspired by traditional Balinese healing practices. Guests can also participate in yoga and meditation sessions, as well as fitness classes and personal training.
- Recreational activities: Six Senses Uluwatu provides a range of activities for guests to enjoy, such as cultural tours, water sports, and surfing lessons. The resort also offers a kids’ club with supervised activities to keep younger guests entertained.
A mid-budget-friendly choice could be Le Cliff Bali. It is a stylish boutique hotel located in the stunning Uluwatu area of Bali, offering easy access to Green Bowl Beach and other nearby attractions.
This mid-budget accommodation option combines modern design with traditional Balinese elements to create a unique and comfortable experience for its guests. The hotel features well-appointed rooms and suites, many of which offer breathtaking ocean views.
Some key highlights and facilities of Le Cliff Bali include:
- On-site restaurant: Le Cliff Bali features a restaurant that serves a variety of local and international dishes, made with fresh ingredients. Guests can enjoy their meals while taking in the panoramic ocean views from the dining area.
- Swimming pool: The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool where guests can relax and soak up the sun, surrounded by lush tropical gardens.
- Proximity to attractions: In addition to its close location to Green Bowl Beach, Le Cliff Bali is also near other popular attractions like Uluwatu Temple, Suluban Beach, and various surfing spots.
- Activities and experiences: The hotel can help arrange various activities for guests to explore the beauty of Uluwatu, such as surfing lessons, cultural tours, and yoga classes.
Kubu Container is a budget-friendly lodging that offers guests a memorable experience by repurposing shipping containers into comfortable and functional living spaces.
Some key features and facilities of Kubu Container include:
- Unique rooms: Kubu Container provides guests with well-designed rooms created from upcycled shipping containers. These rooms are equipped with essential amenities such as air conditioning, comfortable beds, private bathrooms, and Wi-Fi access.
- Outdoor swimming pool: The property features an outdoor swimming pool where guests can relax, unwind, and soak up the sun.
- Shared facilities: Kubu Container offers shared facilities like a common kitchen area, allowing guests to prepare their meals and interact with fellow travelers.
- Proximity to attractions: Kubu Container is conveniently located near Green Bowl Beach, making it an ideal base for exploring the beautiful beaches and other attractions in the Uluwatu area. Other nearby attractions include Uluwatu Temple, Pandawa Beach, and various surfing spots.
Tips and Precautions
To fully enjoy your time at the beach, it’s important to come prepared.
- As some of the beaches in Uluwatu are relatively secluded, bringing your own snacks, water, and beach equipment is highly recommended. This way, you can relax and focus on soaking up the sun and the beauty of your surroundings.
- Proper footwear is essential when visiting Uluwatu’s beaches.
- Navigating the stairs leading to the shore and exploring rocky areas can be challenging, so opt for sturdy sandals or water shoes that provide good grip and support.
- Comfortable and safe footwear will ensure a smooth experience as you explore the coastline.
- Sun protection is crucial during your beach adventures. Apply sunscreen generously and reapply throughout the day to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Additional sun protection, such as hats and sunglasses, will help shield you from the sun’s intensity and keep you comfortable during your visit.
- When entering the water, always exercise caution, especially when dealing with currents.
- If you’re not a strong swimmer, consider swimming with a buddy and keeping an eye on each other.
- Pay attention to any posted warning signs or flags, and follow the advice of local lifeguards if they are present.
By following these tips, you’ll be well-prepared for a fantastic day at the beach in Uluwatu.
While Green Bowl Beach is a hidden gem in Uluwatu, there are other beautiful beaches in the area worth exploring.
- Padang Padang Beach, famous for its azure waters and golden sands, is perfect for sunbathing and surfing.
- Bingin Beach, another picturesque spot, offers a laid-back atmosphere, ideal for those seeking relaxation and tranquility.
- A trip to Uluwatu wouldn’t be complete without visiting the majestic Uluwatu Temple. Perched on a cliff overlooking the Indian Ocean, this ancient temple is not only a significant spiritual site but also offers breathtaking views.
- Be sure to attend one of the famous Kecak dance performances held daily at sunset. These mesmerizing cultural events showcase Balinese storytelling through traditional music and dance.
- Uluwatu is home to several clifftop viewpoints where you can take in the stunning panoramas of the surrounding landscape. From these vantage points, you can watch surfers conquering the waves, witness the sun setting over the sea, and appreciate the awe-inspiring beauty of Bali’s southern coastline.
Sustainability and Environmental Awareness
We must preserve the beach’s natural beauty for future generations to enjoy.
This means taking care of the environment by minimizing our impact and striving to maintain the beach’s delicate ecosystem.
As visitors, it’s crucial to practice responsible tourism and adhere to the Leave No Trace principles.
This includes disposing of trash properly, not disturbing wildlife, and avoiding damage to plants and coral reefs. By doing so, we can ensure that Green Bowl Beach remains a stunning destination for years to come.
There are several local conservation efforts and organizations working tirelessly to protect the unique ecosystems of Bali, including those of Green Bowl Beach.
These groups focus on activities such as coastal cleanups, coral reef restoration, and environmental education.
Supporting these organizations, whether through volunteering or donations, is a great way to contribute to the preservation of Green Bowl Beach and the surrounding area.
Together, by being mindful of our actions and promoting sustainable practices, we can help preserve the natural beauty of Green Bowl Beach and ensure that it remains a cherished destination for generations to come.
If you’re planning a trip to Bali, be sure to include Green Bowl Beach in your itinerary.
By venturing off the beaten path, you’ll be rewarded with a one-of-a-kind experience that captures the essence of Bali’s natural beauty and charm.
We hope this guide has helped plan your next beach holiday in Bali!
Let us know in the comments below how your experience was!
Keep Planning Your Trip To Uluwatu Beaches
Below, you can find our other blog posts on Uluwatu Beaches. Some of these beaches are among the most beautiful in the world and have been used in Hollywood films.
- The Ultimate Guide To Melasti Beach
- Discover Impossible Beach
- Discover Nyand Nyang Beach
- 20 Fun Tips To Visit Padang Padang Beach
- Your Top Guide To Green Bowl Beach
- Thomas Beach Bali
- Bingin Beach Bali
- Suluban Beach Bali
- Uluwatu Bali: Best Guide
- Balangan Beach
Is Green Bowl Beach suitable for swimming?
Yes, Green Bowl Beach is suitable for swimming, especially during the dry season. The waters are calm and warm, and the waves are not too strong.
Can I rent surfboards at Green Bowl Beach?
Yes, several vendors rent surfboards on the beach. It’s advisable to bring your equipment if you’re an experienced surfer as the quality of rentals varies from vendor to vendor.
Are there any restaurants or cafes near Green Bowl Beach?
Yes, there are a range of restaurants and cafes in the area where you can enjoy delicious Balinese cuisine. Most of them are located at the entrance of the beach or across the road.
Is Green Bowl Beach crowded?
Green Bowl Beach Beach is less crowded than some of the other popular beaches in Bali. However, it can get busy during peak season, especially on weekends. Try visiting during the weekdays in the morning to avoid the crowds.